When I was in Fourth Grade, I made Boston Brown Bread for a 4-H competition, using a real butter mold and a pressure cooker. At the time I was sure this was a recipe from the pioneering days, but it was really yummy!
Imagine my surprise when I searched for the recipe a few weeks ago, and found out it was from a 1953 Presto! cookbook. Not as prehistoric as I thought, and you don’t really need a butter mold; any sort of container will do. The original recipe called for a Pressure cooker, but I wanted to adapt it to cook in an Instant Pot.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, well Bless Your Heart. Go buy one. Seriously, it will change your life. I can tell you from experience that this bread will not bake well; it needs the moisture from the pressure cooker or its as dry as a bone. So you need an instant pot.
Classic Brown Bread
Boston Brown Bread is a hearty, heavy bread that is very filling. You can add a variety of fruits and nuts to change it up! My favorite is dates & pecans, but raisins & walnuts is awesome, so is chopped apples & raisins! It’s great for breakfast, or an energy snack, or even served as a complement to a savory main dish. My favorite way to eat it is slathered with real butter and a glass of cold milk to wash it down.
This recipe made two loaves of Boston Brown Bread, using a seven inch bowl with a flat bottom. so if you want a single loaf, decrease the ingredients by half. However, this bread freezes really well, so a full batch may be a time-saver. If you want the classic look, use two tall tin cans instead of a bowl.
Also, a little shout out to Dude & Dot, who gave new life to the awesome vintage enamelware colander in the pic!
Boston Brown Bread in an Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp Butter Softened
- 1 Large Egg Beaten
- 1/2 Cup Black Molasses
- 2 Cups Sprouted Whole Wheat Flour Or Graham Flour
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Baking Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Nuts Pecan Walnut, Almonds, etc
- 1/2 Cup Dried Fruits Dates Raisins, Cranberries, etc
- Combine sugar,butter,egg and molasses in a bowl. Sift in flours, baking soda & baking powder. As you add dry ingredients,alternate with milk. Add nuts and dried fruit. Mix well. Turn in a buttered bowl or mold that will sit loosely in the Instant pot. Cover loosely with foil. Add 2 cups of water to the Instant pot & set bowl on rack in Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes, then let pressure dissipate naturally. Store in airtight container.